Posted by Godefroi on July 28, 2008
Not really “News”, as in something new…rather old news with a slight twist.
You may recall that last year a Pew study found that up to 25% of young male American Muslims support “Martyrdom Operations” in some cases, based on their religion.
This year, another study, this one by the Centre for Social Cohesion, has turned the sights on to British Muslim students. Some of what they found:
- 32 percent said killing in the name of religion could be justified. However, almost double that number, 60 percent of those who are active members of Islamic student organizations, supported the idea.
- 15 percent of respondents said that Islam as a religion and Islamism as a political ideology were part of the same thing
- 43 percent of Muslim students said they felt that Islam was compatible with secularism [Muhammad would be pissed]
- 40 percent of the students supported introduction of Islamic Sharia law (Islamic religious law) in Britain
- A third were in favor of a worldwide caliphate based on Sharia law, as opposed to the 58 percent of active members of Islamic student organizations, who supported the idea.
Items to note (from the INN article, not the study):
- there was a striking difference between the average Muslim and those who join on-campus Islamic groups
- University authorities need to urgently take steps to reduce Islamist influence on campus
- significant numbers of students “appear to hold beliefs which contravene liberal, democratic values
It should be fairly plain that campus-oriented Muslim advocacy and activist groups (MSA anyone?) are detrimental to the health of the University society and society in general.